Dr. Bryan Criswell
Dr. Bryan Criswell is known by his patients and peers for his knowledge and expertise in breast enhancement surgery in Charlotte, NC. Of course, he is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and he also serves as the Medical Director of Criswell & Criswell Plastic Surgery in Ballantyne and SouthPark. He has over fifteen years of experience in performing breast surgery on thousands of women and focuses on providing his patients with beautiful, natural results.
While much of Dr. Criswell’s focus is helping his cosmetic breast enhancement patients achieve a natural, beautiful look, he also devotes time to his reconstruction patients. He also provides the latest reconstruction options for his patients surviving breast cancer. For our breast reconstruction patients, Dr. Criswell offers his patients multiple options including the TRAM flap, lastissimus flap, expander/ implant reconstruction, nipple sparing reconstruction and immediate delayed reconstruction.
In addition to performing surgery in our own new and state of the art CCPS surgery center, he holds privileges at all major Charlotte Mecklenburg Hospitals including Carolinas Medical Center and Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center. Believe it or not, there are surgeons, even in Charlotte, NC that do not hold privileges in hospitals. As such, they cannot operate in hospitals, they cannot admit a patient to the hospital in the event of an emergency, and they are not evaluated regularly for safety and outcomes by a hospital surgery committee. When you are researching your plastic surgeon, no matter how wonderful his or her own surgery center may appear, for your safety your surgeon must be privileged by at least one, and preferably multiple, hospitals in the area.
“I was referred to Dr. Bryan Criswell after radiation and a lumpectomy for breast cancer. The first plastic surgeon I saw would not consider anything but a mastectomy and radical surgery. Dr. Criswell listened to my concerns and was honest about the pros and cons of surgery on skin that has been radiated. He was able to use a small implant to restore volume to the lumpectomy site and excise the existing scar. The results are great. He and his staff are caring, compassionate and make you feel comfortable and at ease. His commitment to women that have experienced breast cancer and need reconstruction is admirable.”
Board Certifications and Licenses:
Dr. Criswell is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a licensed physician by the North Carolina Medical Board.
Professional Associations and Societies:
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- North Carolina Medical Society
- North American Burn Society
Hospital Appointments and Affiliations:
- Carolinas Medical Center, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Carolinas Medical Center Pineville, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Carolinas Medical Center Mercy, Associate, Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Plastic Surgery
- Presbyterian Novant Charlotte, Division of Plastic Surgery
- Presbyterian Novant Matthews, Division of Plastic Surgery
- Ballantyne Surgery Center, Presbyterian Novant, Division of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Criswell’s Academic History
Education and Training:
- Graduated cum laude from Texas Christian University.
- Completed medical school with honors in research at the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Surgical internship at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Completed five years of general surgery training as administrative chief resident at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York.
- Completed three years of plastic surgery training with the division of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Cosmetic Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Dr. Criswell has furthered his training with courses given by the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, BAHA and dental osseointegrated implants, Inamed and Mentor saline and silicone breast implants, Allergen (Botox and Juvederm), Restylane, Radiesse, Sculptra, Coapt Systems Endotines, and others.
Dr. Criswell’s Past Research:
- Principal Investigator at the Division of Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Evaluating simultaneous abdominal wall reconstruction and abdominal lipectomy in complex abdominal wounds.
- Evaluating microsurgical research techniques in the rat model.
- Principal Investigator at the Cook County Burn Center studying burn scar neoplasms.
- Principal Investigator with Upstate Medical University. Evaluating the use of free TRAM flaps in a private microsurgical practice.
- Principal Investigator with the Department of Vascular Surgery at the University of New Mexico. Analyzing carotid duplex sonography and angiography in the diagnosis of carotid artery stenosis.
Professional Publications by Dr. Criswell:
- Unilateral Cleft Lip Repair. eMedicine, 2006. Patel PK, Criswell BK, Criswell KK, Cohen M.
- Cleft Palate Repair. eMedicine, 2006. Patel PK, Criswell KK, Criswell BK, Cohen M.
- Bilateral Cleft Lip Repair. eMedicine, 2006.Patel, PK, Criswell KK, Criswell BK, Cohen M.
- Burn Scar Neoplasms: A Literature Review and Statistical Analysis. Burns. 31:403, 2005. Kowal-Vern A, Criswell BK.
- Evaluating Institutional Variability of Duplex Scanning in the Detection of Carotid Artery Stenosis. American Journal of Surgery. 176(6):591-7, 1998 Dec. Criswell BK, Langsfeld M.
Academic Surgery Presentations:
- Abdominal Lipectomy and Simultaneous Reconstruction of Abdominal Wall Defects After Bariatric Surgery in Crystal City, Virginia, 2006.
- TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction in a Patient with an Ileostomy at the 44th Annual Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, 2005.
- Neoplasms in Burn Scars, at the 36th Annual North American Burn Society, Annual Meeting, Squaw Valley, CA, 2004.
- Institutional Variability of Duplex Scanning in the Detection of Carotid Artery Stenosis, the 50th Annual Southwestern Surgical Congress, San Antonio, TX, 1998.
- Using ICA/CCA and ECA/CCA Blood Flow Velocity Ratios to Determine Artery Stenosis. University of New Mexico School of Medicine Research Symposium, Albuquerque, NM, 1997.
Dr. Criswell’s Honors and Awards:
- Administrative Chief Plastic Surgery Resident, University of Illinois at Chicago
- North American Burn Society Meeting, First Place, Resident Presentation Award
- Administrative Chief Resident, General Surgery
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support (ATLS) Clinical Instructor
- Honors in Medical School Research
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America